Friday, November 04, 2005

Talking Egg. Head.

Well, I'm not calling David Byrne an egghead. How dare I. But as I was channel hopping last night and tripped over his radio stream... honestly, I found that unbearable. And so I gave it another try tonight - it was even worse, I tell ya. Now musical taste is arguable, and then it is not. It's simply personal. But seeing the idol of my faded youth picking tracks like Last Night A DJ Saved My Life just makes me wanna puke. Then there's The System (You Are In My System). Yuk. Well, and a lot of yesterday's heros with just the wrong songs. He calls that 'old school club music' and pleads "These songs may have been what folks were referring to when a certain portion of the population held up “disco sucks” banners in the 80s. These self-proclaimed music critics often stated that what bothered them was that these songs were made by machines (they often were, and proudly so) and therefore lacked sincerity or realness. I think what they were really afraid of was the fact that many of these songs emanated from a mostly Black and often gay subculture — a combination which was so unimaginably scary that its musical representation simply had to be fought off at all costs."
Hum. If you knew me, Dave, you'd know also that I'm quite open-minded when it comes to music, and I don't care if what I hear is generated entirely by machines or put together by Shirley & Spinoza. As long as it is just good. And a lot of that stuff you're presenting is just plain old boring crap, record company designed artificial buck generating lifeless fashion crap.
You're talking about a mostly Black and often gay subculture. But Gap Band, Salt-n-Pepa, Commodores, Cameo, Indeep (!!), Jermaine Jackson, Sheila E. and most of the rest ain't no subculture, dude. Evelyne Champagne King - subculture? Not a single De La Soul track, no Prince, S.O.S. Band, Chaka Khan, Trouble Funk, Soul II Soul, Afrika Bambaata, BDP, EPMD, Eric B. & Rakim, Grandmaster Flash, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Newcleus, Dazz Band, Earth Wind & Fire, Parliament / Funkadelic, Marvin Gaye, Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder, and why not throw in some whiteys - where's The Clash, Public Image... I could go on for hours. To cut a long story short - your selection sucks, as it is cheesy and doesn't groove most of the time. But your... journal (I'm not supposed to call it blog, I understand) is quite a read at times. Well worth a look. I hope you don't mind I listen to something else while I browse it. Sleep well, old chap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home