Sunday, July 16, 2006

Time Machine.


Lately I picked up that some clever dude almost invented the steam machine some two thousand years ago (or was it three?!). Now he didn't think about whether or not he should do it - he was noticing the expansion of steam and was experimenting with some kind of piston at that time, but just didn't see the possible connection... I believe he was one of those extremely clever greek guys. I zapped right into that program on TV, but that section about this particular man ended soon after, and they didn't mention his name. Plus I was to lazy to investigate further - I know too much already and uncontrollably lose bits and pieces or mix them up... how-evvah, I mounted my post steam-machine-age bike and drove some 40 km out to the countryside (trying to ignore all those idiots in their damn cars nearly running me over a couple of times). And there I continued to ride it, looked here, went there etc. to find out (as if I didn't know already) that bike riding is a lot of fun. Massive! One has a completely different connection to what surrounds us. Air: you smell flowers blossom, ripe crop, cow pat and whatnot. You feel the sudden change of temperature riding downhill, wind in your hair, you can simply stop and take a picture without having to get out of the car, and you can go where even SUVs can't. You know, it's "Harley Days" in Hamburg right now. That means that an awful lot of people with awfully loud motorbikes cruise the city. Which is rather pointless. I mean, I do like motorbikes, especially old ones that are nicely restored, but I don't like manipulated exhaust pipes so that they are producing illegal sound pressures. Especially when it is not only one, but 55,000 m/bikes driving around for the sake of driving around. Fortunately, they are not invading the countryside (which would provide much more fun driving, theoretically), so I can always escape. What was my point... ah, okay, riding the bike is like driving a motorcycle, regarding the air bits I mentioned, but without noise, pollution, five digit price tags and tickets. And once you're home, you can post silly stuff about it. That's me in the corner...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home